Wednesday, 4 September 2013

What I wouldn't give to live in the 20s

Sooo back in June I went to see The Great Gatsby directed by Baz Luhrmann. The film was really entertaining in general but it is definitely not Luhrmann's best work. Three things I loved about the film was the costumes, sets, and the brilliant soundtrack. Who knew Jay-z went so well with a jazzy sound? My fave song from the has got to be "Young and Beautiful" by Lana Del Ray, she has this voice that I want to listen to all day. The costumes would have turned any ugly duckling into a proud swan. Everything seemed so much more delicate and graceful back in the 20s.




Cause of my Chinese roots and I really love history, I got to thinking about what China was like back in the 20s. No doubt it would have been a totally different place from the West. I hear that Shanghai then was even more of a crowd pleaser than New York, I can't imagine the Bund wouldn't have looked much different than today. Well, there's probably a lot more people today though. 



These are some posters from that period which show massive influences the West had on China. Women still dressed in traditional qipaos although their hair styles are influenced by Western styles. Every Chinese gal needs to have a qipao in their wardrobe and needs to wear it every month ha. That's the rule.


I'd just inherited this chiffon qipao from my aunt when I was back in China the other month. Perfect for this post I thought. I was gonna go outside to take some photos but the police decided to turn up at the house next door and were hanging outside for ages. The dress is kinda too big. 




 Trying a little mirror effect.


 Bag is from Urban Outfitters a long time ago.

Flatforms from ASOS and they are not made for walking. Worst shoes ever.







6 comments:

  1. Your outfit is amazing and shoes are fantastic!

    I'm also following you via GFC:)
    jointyicroissanty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! would you like to follow eachother?
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure thing! already followed ya.
      x rachel

      Delete

Thanks for your comment!